Dave J Hogan / Getty Images
LOS ANGELES - Actor Christian Bale, who plays Batman in "The Dark Knight Rises," expressed horror and grief for the victims of Friday's shooting spree that left 12 dead in a Colorado theater at a midnight showing of his new movie.
"Words cannot express the horror that I feel," he said in a statement released on Saturday by his spokeswoman, Jennifer Allen. "I cannot begin to truly understand the pain and grief of the victims and their loved ones, but my heart goes out to them."
James Eagan Holmes, 24, is in police custody and accused of the crime in which 58 others were injured. Holmes also is accused of booby-trapping his apartment in the Denver suburb of Aurora, Colorado, before the rampage.
- Man kills 12, wounds 58 at 'Dark Knight Rises' premiere
- Security at movie theaters comes into focus after shootings
- Studio pulls trailer for film with theater shooting
- 'Dark Knight' director expresses 'profound sorrow'
- Batman studio thrust into tough spot
- 'Dark Knight' headed for $165 million opening weekend